I try to avoid hate speech of any kind on my journal. If I slip up and say something heedless of my own privilege, please tell me - in a non-flaming way. These are teachable moments, not times to whack people over the head with a newspaper.
I could list an alphabet soup of identities, but suffice it to say that( Read more... )
Care to learn more? Spoilers ahoy!
( they're not really huge spoilers though )
Anyway, basically what I am saying is, I like The Americans so far, and it is also fun to nitpick about why their location choices are so ridiculously unrealistic. (But I guess it depends on where they can get access to film?)
However, I will say that staranise and her cat, Bert, could use a bit of extra help at the moment, as staranise just moved to start a new job and Bert is having some rather large vet bills.
"So this is what I'm asking for: I would really appreciate any financial help anyone could give me right now. My job was supposed to start two weeks ago, but thanks to a bureaucratic hangup it might (maybe!) start next week, or maybe the week after; I was supposed to be earning income already. I've paid rent twice this month thanks to the move. Today's vet visit wiped out basically all the money I had left, and I don't know how I'm going to pay tomorrow morning for the medications that Bert needs now, which are averaging around $400/mo, much less any additional tests or procedures he might need."
Paypal donate button and pics of Bert over on her journal.
ETA: Sad announcement over on staranise's journal
signal boosts/donations appreciated <3
I don't care, really. I am a sucker for her adorable little Ewok face staring at me with great joy and expectation going throw-the-ball-throw-the-ball-throw-the-b
These behaviors are...less than endearing to my partner. For some reason, the sound of "click click click click click click *thunk* *grab* click click click click click click *drops ball in front of thrower" get to her after, oh, maybe 50-100 throws? IDK. I think it's cute, and also, I can't resist that Face Haley makes.
Partner can resist the face. Partner has some sort of Haley-ball-neutralizing-mystical-powers wherein she puts the ball next to us on the sofa, and Haley comes and chews the ball, and then suddenly she's asleep. How does this happen? (When I attempt this, Haley just stares at the ball from the sofa until I cave and throw it again.)
Here, for your viewing pleasure, are some photos I took last night while attempting to resist the Face. I didn't make it long, but aren't the pictures cute?
Haley, a small brown Border Terrier, sitting very politely and giving me the Adorable Eye
( two more pictures of dangerous adorableness below the cut )
Grig and his son are left with a rather large hospital bill (even with health insurance) and face the lack of Christine's half of the household income. A friend has set up a gofundme campaign to try to raise funds to help get them on their feet in the face of their loss. In addition, Grig has books available for download/hard copy on Amazon if you would like to help that way.
Donations and/or signal boosts on whichever form of social media you feel comfortable are much appreciated.
Clearly time for good things. Yes, good things are a thing, yes?
- It is snowing but it is not a !ridiculousamount of snow, and it is not sticking to the pavement thus far. It just looks pretty.
- The birds are enjoying the bird feeders and it is fun to watch them.
- It is also fun to watch Haley watch dog TV (aka the birdfeeders), and go beserk when a squirrel encroaches on her turf.
- Going to attempt a Grimm marathon later.
- Therapy today! Much needed.
- Have I ever mentioned that tea is amazing? Yeah, I thought so ;)
- I can haz plans for a knit hat for partner made from some gray handspun BFL I spun...just waiting for it to finish drying before I swatch.
- Am spinning the most gorgeous targhee. I bought it pre-dyed and am very happy with how it's turning out so far.
- Might be a good day for fire in fireplace.
- Have tentative plans for crafty and/or fandom goodness with jelazakazone soon!
- Data, in an attempt to better understand animals, tries to teach Spot tricks. Spot ignores him initially (perhaps by licking butthole) but then proceeds to learn tricks rapidly. Data and other crewmembers are amazed. Troi is skeptical, and discovers that Spot is possessed by an alien lifeform that is able to mind-control its host. Blah blah blah subduing alien lifeform. Data disappointed that after alien lifeform leaves, all Spot wants to do is lick his butthole.
- Spot goes missing. Data distraught, search ensues. Data goes through ship with Spot's favorite toys, cat nip, food, etc. No one thinks of air ducts until strange sounds heard from them. Spot discovered inside, killing/playing with invasive alien life form that is attempting to take over ship. Spot saves day! However, Dr. Crusher has to treat Spot for alien poisons. Spot looks smug and vomits hairball of tiny alien head at Data's feet as a victory present.
- Data takes Spot to Holodeck to a program that is supposed to be specifically engineered for cats. It is made of laser pointers that dart across the wall. Spot pounces at laser pointers! However, person who programmed laser pointers is a Romulan spy that made a sequence of lights designed to render Data helpless until he is shown an alternate sequence of lasers. Spot gives no fucks when Data falls over, continues playing with lasers. Romulan spy kidnaps Data; Spot continues to give no fucks and plays with shiny points of light. Romulans escape with Data in ship. Spot gives fucks when his dinner does not come and makes MUCH NOISE until Geordi arrives and sees that Spot is alone in Holodeck and Data is missing, and his visor records and is able to analyze the light pattern. Rest of crew saves Data; Spot doesn't give fucks because he's being fed and cared for. When rescued Data says no more laser program in Holodeck; Spot feigns indifference and licks butthole
Soooo I realize that now it is closed to new nominations, which is sadface but obviously jjhunter has limitations and suchlike too, but the Words and Deeds Love Meme 4 is still open to comments for existing threads and I added a bunch right under the wire. What, me, procrastinate? I would have put in more but the doorbell rang and then it was after the deadline whoops.
Gotta go eat bacon now :P
Help Rescued Dogs Find Love!
So I looked up Mendelsohn's website, and read some of the articles linked there, and found one I thought might be of interest to folks on my circle. It made me giggle.
"Republicanism Can Be Cured"
Published July 26, 1993
in the New York Times
The startling discovery that affiliation with the Republican Party is genetically determined, announced by scientists in the current issue of the journal Nurture, threatens to overshadow the announcement by Government scientists that there might be a gene for homosexuality in men.
Reports of the gene that codes for political conservatism, discovered after a long study of quintuplets in Orange County, Calif., has sent shock waves through the medical, political and golfing communities.
Psychologists and psychoanalysts have long believed that Republicans' unnatural and frequently unconstitutional tendencies result from unhealthy family life -- a remarkably high percentage of Republicans had authoritarian, domineering fathers and emotionally distant mothers who didn't teach them how to be kind and gentle. But biologists have long suspected that conservatism is inherited. "After all," said one author of the Nurture article, "It's quite common for a Republican to have a brother or sister who is a Republican."
[more on the link above]
*sending good thoughts to all of you*
And FWIW my online time may be a tad truncated for awhile, because Gran, she's 94, and yes. I would like to spend time with her.
This was an especially good day for it to arrive, as, with my immune system weakened by stomach!plague and a week and a half of not really eating much nutrients, I now seem to be getting an upper respiratory something. I probably picked it up in urgent care or something, as it's really the only time I've been out of the house, and there were definitely coughing people there.
So -- as I've no energy to knit or spin to speak of, I am left with pattern books, planning a natural dye section of the garden, internet friends, and video games. Not so bad, really, *knock wood*. At least it's an excellent excuse to avoid the Mount Everest of Things to Be Done.
Lots of good thoughts to all of you.
If you are interested in receiving a winter card, please either send me a private message with your preferred envelope name and mailing address OR leave a screened comment here. Please do not assume I know where your address is if you've given it to me before; I'm a bit scattered at the moment so yes, sending it again would be most excellent.
Also, I have a lot of Christmas-specific cards because they're everywhere (not overly religious, just Santas and stuff). If that bothers/triggers you, please let me know when you send me your address and I will avoid sending you one of those cards.
P.S. Even if you are very new around here/only lurk/just dropped by via network, the above applies! I will totally send you a fun!times card in the mail. :)
- I spun some yarn today. It was fun but tiring. I want to do more, the fiber is taunting me, but I'm trying to take it easy.
- I also, um, made some lotion out of beeswax, oil, and lavendar essential oil. it makes my skin uber soft!
- I have all the ideas for knitting but no energy to actually get the yarn and start the project. Whoops. Maybe soon I hope?
- if I don't go drink the ginger tea my partner made soon, I will be in trouble. :P
- My guild's craft show went well despite the snow and ice! I sold 10 things so far (there's still an hour to spare) out of 32 that I put in, which I consider a success.
- The things that did sell are the things I liked the most; the things I put my heart into. Not the things I made because I thought they would sell, or because someone told me they would sell. So, lesson learned: follow your bliss.
- I ate solid food again today! So far, so good. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
- I am even contemplating knitting again. So far I have not had energy to knit since Rogue died, which is the opposite of helpful in regards to one's coping mechanisms.
- I went to the yarn store and got some intriguing yarn. Now to find a pattern. (I know, I do it backwards, but it works for me.)
- Am hoping to get unsold stuff back from the craft show soon so that I can present it, either to people I know or to people who are cold who can't get warm things. (I like to think of them winging their knitted way throughout the world <3).
- Despite being unable to go to my guild's craft show (which is large and further from my house), I did go to jelazakazone 's craft show (smaller and more local). Her quilts are exquisite and my mom got some really awesome presents for people from the show.
- Just because people are posting these: I do have a Permanent Wishlist because hey, it's nice to want things. No obligations at all but, you know, it's there if you feel like looking.
- I saw a cute kitty today! <3
- Lovely snuggles and comfort from my partner when I had a grieving
momenthour for Rogue in the middle of the night.
- IV Fluids are a good thing.
- slept through most of the night.
- My mom got an artificial Christmas tree from Craigslist, which means that we can deck the halls soon.
- MY CRAFT SHOW IS THIS WEEKEND. And also they were really understanding about me not being able to work it because dog grief (and now food poisoning). So phew.
- Still really excite about my grandmother coming to visit, and we might even get to do some short overnight trips while she's here (so no one gets stir crazy).
- Had a shower. Yay! Clean!
- Gatorade, gross but useful.
- I found when our last dog passed that the first three days were the worst. I am finding on the fourth day that it is slightly less bad than the previous three. *crosses fingers* I know things are up and down, but -- holding on to hope.
- There was a litter of Border Terrier puppies born the day after Rogue passed. I like to think his spirit, or part of it, may have passed on to one of them. Or who knows where else! (My friend thinks he was the missing Panchen Lama, taking a short spiritual retreat.)
- The people in my guild were really understanding about Rogue's passing, and so I am no longer scheduled to do a spinning demo on the one-week anniversary of his passing. (And in fact don't have to help out at the craft show at all, which I feel slightly guilty about, but am fighting the imposter syndrome and reminding myself that I can help out next year.)
- Going to attend my craft show and jelazakazone 's craft show on Friday with jelazakazone and my mother and maybe my partner.
- My aunt is getting needed medical attention in the UK! Hurrah! Have been so worried about her. *crosses fingers*
- Got/gave some much-needed canine attention yesterday from a friend's dog.
- Therapy today.
- Rearranged the bedroom, it looks really nice.
- Also gave me a chance to do a deep clean to help with allergy issues.
- Achievement Unlocked: Bake tasty whole grain bread (helped greatly by finding whole grain bread flour at an Amish country store. In bulk :DDD)
- Ate real food yesterday (instead of caving to compulsion to subsist on leftover whipped cream from Thanksgiving.)
- Might get to visit with a friend's dog today. She really likes my belly rubs.
- Got an 8"x10" photo of Rogue at the beach hanging in the dining room now. It's nice to go talk to him. (All the other photos in the house were of Young Rogue, and that's really not how I think of him now...)
- My partner's aunt suggested I write a book about Rogue and...it's not a bad idea. Am considering structure. (Because really Rogue's story starts with the loss of our previous dog, and is deeply entwined with my own mental health/physical health issues. I don't mind also writing about those things though.)
- Slept pretty soundly.
- Music still really therapeutic.
- Back to knitting the afghan squares, as it means that I don't have to decide on a pattern because deciding things is really hard right now. However, if anyone wants to rec a good 2-color Fair Isle hat pattern that uses either fingering or worsted yarn, I'd be grateful. I am partial to snowflake designs at the moment.
- Only had two seizures since Rogue passed. (I am wondering if the stress of his illness was contributing to some of them.)
- Family and friends.